It's championship season at TWCA.
Three Warriors programs — both Boys and Girls Track and the Boys Golf team — earned district championships in April, adding to a long list of accomplishments from Warriors Athletics in 2020-2021. Several individual athletes won titles and advanced to their respective regional meets as well. Congratulations are also in order for the MS-Green Baseball team, which won a HAPS championship for the Warriors!
TRACK AND FIELD
Another year, another dominating performance for the Boys and Girls track programs at TWCA.
The Lady Warriors earned their incredible 10th straight district championship (every year since 2012), with a plethora of athletes winning individual gold medals. Their incredible streak of championships has now seen titles in 3A, 4A and 5A competition.
In similar fashion, the boys track and field team set several school and personal records en route to their 5th district championship in the last six years. Check out the full results from the Warriors T&F program below.
Qualifiers are in Bold (automatic) or Italicized (also qualified).
· Shot put – Katie Tucker (Gold), Reagan Harris (Silver), and Catherine Berger, Colby Gorman (Gold), Ezekiel Jurado
· Discus – Sierrah Blackwell (Bronze)
· High Jump – Roric Hawkins (Gold)
· Pole Vault – Megan Hanigan (Gold), Cade Marcinkovich (Silver)
· Long Jump – Jocelyn Klages (Bronze), Austin Benigni (Gold)
· Triple Jump – Camille Young (Gold), Katie Tucker (Bronze), Ava Fuentes, Austin Benigni (Gold), Evan Sanni-Thomas (Bronze)
· 100m – Jocelyn Klages (Bronze), Tucker Carson (Silver)
· 100m hurdles – Sarah Chappelle (Gold), Maddie Murphy (Bronze)
· 200m – Camille Young (Bronze), Tucker Carson (Silver), Blake Wiley
· 300m hurdles – Sarah Chappelle (Gold), Chesnie Russell (Silver), Avery Buck (Bronze)
· 400m – Zoe Calimani (Silver), Evan Sanni-Thomas (Gold), Jack Cole (Bronze), Mia Torres
· 800m – Zoe Calimani (Silver), Ben Shearer (Gold)
· 1600m – Fern Shirley (Silver), Ben Shearer (Gold), Josh Mueck (Silver) and Zach Bagnoli
· 3200m – Fern Shirley (Gold), Ben Shearer (Gold), Josh Mueck (Silver), Zach Bagnoli (Bronze)
· 4x100 relay – Megan Hanigan, Maggie Smith, Lindsay Worthington, Jocelyn Smith (Bronze); Roric Hawkins, Ryan Leslie, Maxim Olivier, Blake Wiley (Bronze)
· 4x200 relay – Megan Hanigan, Lindsay Worthington, Aspen Butaud, Camille Young (Silver); Jacob Rios, Maxim Olivier, Josh Johnson, Tucker Carson
· 4x400 relay – Mia Torres, Lindsay Worthington, Maddie Steed, Zoe Calimani (Gold); Jacob Rios, Jack Cole, Riley Bunch, Caleb Bigler (Silver)
Both the boys and girls squads will compete at the TAPPS Regional meet on Thursday, April 22nd in Bastrop, Texas.
It's not always easy to perform when you are the favorites to win. That pressure didn't phase the TWCA golf program at the District 6-5A tournament on Monday, April 19th at Willow Creek Golf Club.
The Warriors took home the district title in impressive fashion, shooting a combined +1 (289) — a whopping 72 strokes better than second place. Individually, TWCA claimed the Top 3 spots on the leaderboard, had six players finish in the top 11 and eight competitors finish in the top 15. This earned the Warriors five individual spots in the Regional Tournament, with a 6th player just missing out in a playoff. On the girls side, Carley Welch earned a spot in the Regional Tournament with a 4th place finish, shooting a 111 on the round.
TWCA Boys Results: (Regional Qualifiers in Bold)
1st - Ethan Bridges - 70 (-2)
2nd - Jack Usner - 71 (-1)
3rd - Aaron Pounds - 72 (E)
5th - Jake Maggert - 76 (+4)
7th - Preston Culberson - 82 (+10)
T-10th* - Mark Wyrick - 86 (+14)
* Lost in a playoff
Keller Davis - 89 (+17)
Sam McClure - 90 (+18)
Sebastian Bryngelson - 105 (+33)
Connor Reed - 109 (+37)
The TAPPS Regional Golf Tournament will be held on Monday, April 26th at River Crossing Golf Club in Spring Branch. At the regional competition, the top 10 individual performers and top 3 teams will advance to the TAPPS State Golf Championship, which is scheduled to be held on May 3-4 at Cotton Creek Golf Course in Waco, Texas.
This is what I love about @TWCAgolf. All 11 golfers on the putting green with Mark Wyrick before his playoff for the final individual spot in regionals. Even though we came up a bit short in the playoff, the atmosphere was electric and made this coach proud to be a Warrior! pic.twitter.com/NRyzkZDkVc— TWCA Golf (@TWCAgolf) April 20, 2021