Learning Beyond the Walls
“The knowledge of the world is only to be acquired in the world, and not in a closet.”
- Lord Philip Dormer Stanhope Chesterfield
Textbooks, lectures and other classroom activities can only teach students so much. Off-campus experiences are excellent ways of giving students a more direct understanding of a subject. Field trips afford students the fun of exploring interesting places and the educational benefits of learning from a source outside the textbook.
There are several important educational benefits that result from well-planned field trips;
- Improved learning. Field trips are a proven way to make the lessons come to life; revealing the practical applications of textbook education.
- Broadened horizons. Field trips expose students to all sorts of new and different experiences.
- Fellowship. Field trips provide a great opportunity for students to interact with peers and faculty in an environment outside the classroom.
- Learning comes alive. Field trips allow students to escape the routine of the classroom and explore their own education through a new set of eyes.